Why Extract a Tooth?
Our experienced dentist Dr. K provides gentle and comfortable Tooth extraction, Calabasas. It may seem like a contradiction to call a tooth extraction a restorative dental procedure. However, if your Calabasas dentist recommends extracting a tooth, you can rest assured he’s doing so in order to preserve the health of your whole mouth. Dr. K might call for extraction in several instances, including:
- Wisdom teeth that have become impacted or are adversely affecting your other teeth.
- Teeth that have loosened in their sockets due to severe gum disease.
- Teeth that have decayed to a point that even root canal therapy cannot adequately deal with the problem.
- Teeth that pose an infection risk in patients with reduced immune system function.
- If the teeth are overcrowded, Dr. K may recommend the removal of a tooth before undergoing orthodontic therapy to make room for the movement of the remaining teeth into place.
What Happens During a Tooth Extraction?
As with every dental procedure, if you feel nervous, afraid, or like you just can’t handle sitting through your appointment comfortably, talk to Dr. K. He and the entire staff at Calabasas Smiles is dedicated to helping you feel at ease, and we can provide soothing comfort amenities in addition to sedation dentistry options to help you feel at ease. He even provides IV sedation, a deep form of dental sedation appropriate for surgical extractions.
Once you have relaxed into the treatment chair, Dr. K will numb the site completely. Next, he will use a series of tools to loosen the tooth in its socket before completely removing the compromised tooth. Once a tooth has been extracted, you will need to follow Dr. K’s post-op instructions to the letter and, at your follow-up appointment, you will need to discuss your options for tooth replacement.
What Happens After a Tooth Extraction?
If you underwent oral sedation or IV sedation during your extraction, you will need a trusted friend or relative to escort you home, since you will not be able to safely operate a vehicle. Before you leave, Dr. K will give your escort a copy of your full post-op instructions and any prescriptions for antibiotics, if needed. Although you will need to be sure and read the full instructions, a few basic guidelines for rapid healing include:
- Eating only very soft foods or clear foods for a day or two after your procedure. High temperatures, heavy spices, and acidic foods (like tomato sauce) will irritate the extraction site.
- Do not smoke. It will slow down healing and could cause dry socket.
- Do not drink out of a straw, which could also lead to dry socket.
- Apply alternating warm and cool compresses and take appropriate doses of over-the-counter pain medication to relieve any discomfort you may feel.
Exceptional Care and Comfort with Your Calabasas Dentist
At Calabasas Smiles, Dr. K and his staff of friendly, talented professionals look forward to caring for your smile. We provide a full menu of dental care services, from checkups and cleanings to dental implants. To schedule an appointment at our Calabasas dentist office, please contact us today at (818) 878-7300. We proudly serve patients and their families from Hidden Hills, Malibu, Agoura Hills, Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, West Hills, and the 91302 zip code area.